As we adopt to the new normal, one of the several things that we should consider is the protection of our data privacy rights. One of the constitutionally enshrined rights is the Right to Privacy as provided for under Section 3, Article III of the 1987 Philippine Constitution.
Breach of one’s data privacy has become prevalent as more transactions are processed online in order to curtail the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Further, contact tracing measures required by the National Government has led to the mandatory disclosure of personal and sensitive data from individuals which then heightens the probability on the unauthorized use of one’s personal and sensitive information.
On 13 October 2020, one of our Founding and Senior Partners, Atty. Jasmin R. Fiel Samson, was able to obtain her certification as a Data Privacy Officer (DPO) from Enderun Extension of Enderun Colleges Inc.
Appointing a Data Protection Officer (DPO) is a legal requirement for personal information controllers (PICs) and personal information processors (PIPs), under the Data Privacy Act of 2012. According to the National Privacy Commission, summarily, the following are the duties and responsibilities of DPOs;
- Consultation and Advice on matters on Data Privacy;
- Cooperation and Coordination data subjects, the NPC and other authorities in all matters concerning data privacy or security issues or concerns;
- Assessment and review and/or revision of policies, guidelines, projects and/or programs relating to privacy and data protection;
- Assistance in ensuring proper data breach and security incident management by the PIC or PIP; and
- Education and Training on compliances necessary under the DPA.
This means the DPO primarily monitors the organization’s compliance with the DPA, and provides information and advice on issues that relate to data protection.
For more information on our legal services in relation to data privacy matters, visit our data privacy and protection page.
You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FBRT’s Atty. Jonathan De Guzman Completes the Data Privacy Officer Certification Course
- FBRT is ready to assist you in your Data Privacy Compliance Journey
- How to Protect Your Personal Data in a Work-from-Home Arrangement